This Flourless Swiss Roll is one of my family’s favourites. It is gluten-free, incredibly easy to bake and filled with light and fresh sour cream filling.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons of ground walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of Bourbon Vanilla Sugar
- 240 g ( 1 cup) sour cream
- 6 tablespoons of powdered sugar
Divide the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites. Start at a low speed and gradualy turn the speed to high and keep whisking until the mix has formed a stiff peak.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks with powdered sugar until the mixture becomes thicker and more pale in color.
Add walnuts to the egg yolks mixture.
- Add one spoon of egg whites to the walnut mixture and mix together. Then put ⅓ of the egg whites at a time into the walnut mix and fold very gently until well combined.
- Pour the batter onto the baking tray, lined with parchment paper. Spread the mixture evenly using a spatula.
- Transfer to the preheated oven on the middle rack. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes at 180 °C / 350 °F.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over a damp towel on a flat surface.
- While the cake is still warm, flip it over onto a prepared sheet of parchment paper.
- Roll into a swiss roll. Use the towel and parchment paper to help you roll the cake tightly. Place on a wire rack and set aside for 1 hour, until completely cool.
- Unroll the cooled cake on a flat surface and put generous amount of sour cream onto it. Spread the cream evenly over the surface, then roll tightly again and put in the fridge for at least 4 hours, best over night.
- Sprinkle with some powdered sugar and serve cold.